- Frank West
Engineering beauty presented by Matt Sears (@mattsears) at HybridConf 2013. Matt discussed the importance of developers understanding design and explained 4 basic principles, offering some helpful online tools. Here's what I learned from his talk.
- Make developers understand design.
- There are similarities between developers and designers, they like:
- DRY (Don't repeat yourself)
- When we don't work together it goes badly, we need communication.
- When developers are left to design they often:
- Copy existing elements
- Copy trends from other websites
- Just make it up as they go along.
- You can't Google search the answer to a design problem, Stack Overflow won't save you.
Iterate through the 4 design principles
- There are 4 types of fonts:
- Serif - These have feet.
- San Serif - These don't have feet.
- Slab Serif - These have block feet.
- Script - Handwriting style.
- Don't use 2 personality (often script) fonts together.
- 2 fonts is often enough.
- Maintain the order of objects.
- Familiarise yourself with the Gestalt principles of design, similarity, continuation, closure and proximity Gestalt principles applied in design.
- The size of objects compared to others.
- Grids - gridsetapp allows you to create grids for your website.